Cogent Asset Management Ltd, a specialist Fund Management boutique, was launched by Citywire AAA rated manager Ian Lancaster and Paul Bethell in September 2013.
Utilising a proprietary quantitative strategy, Cogent advises international institutional clients and high net worth individuals on asset allocation. In addition, Cogent manages a range of European regulated specialist investment vehicles and structured products which provide investors access to income producing assets.
Cogent has an excellent track-record of generating superior investment returns for clients, with an emphasis on risk management and transparency. Funds managed by the team have received top ratings from Citywire, S&P and Morningstar.
In the United States
Data showed that the University of Michigan’s consumer sentiment index for the US decreased to 70.3 in August from 81.2 in July. Consumers’ extreme reactions were due to the surging Delta variant, higher inflation, slower wage growth, and smaller declines in unemployment.
It was reported the IHS Markit Eurozone Services PMI was reported little changed at 59.0 in August from 59.8 in July. New business intakes increased at a slower pace, but the increase was notably stronger than seen on average over the series history, and export demand growth was the second-fastest since the series began in 2014.
Data showed that the au Jibun Bank Japan Manufacturing PMI had decreased to 52.7 in August from a final 53.0 a month earlier. This was the seventh straight month of growth in the manufacturing sector, despite COVID-19 restrictions and supply chain disruptions. The au Jibun Bank Japan Services PMI was down to 42.9 in August from 47.4 in July.
Ian Lancaster, ASIP IFQ MBA
Chief Executive Officer, Chief Investment Officer
Ian has 30 years experience of Fund Management, successfully investing long-only and absolute return equity funds for global institutions such as Reliance, AXA, General Accident and Aviva.
Paul Bethell, CFA
Paul has 20 years experience as an equity analyst, strategist and fund manager, having worked for Reliance, Gulf Finance House and Insinger de Beaufort.
Joe Henry Obit, Assoc. Prof. Dr
Lead Consultant, Artificial Intelligence techniques within Investment Management
Dr Joe is an Associate Professor of Computer Science, Department of Data Science at University Malaysia Sabah. His research interests include Artificial Intelligence and Distributed Artificial Intelligence models. Practical applications have included addressing a wide range of real-world combinatorial optimization problems. Joe obtained his PhD in Computer Science from the School of Computer Science at the University of Nottingham, UK. His PhD thesis designed a novel form of Meta-heuristic, Hyper-heuristic and Cooperative Search.
Kuan Yik Junn, PhD
Consultant, Artificial Intelligence techniques within Investment Management
Dr Kuan obtained his PhD in Computer Science from the School of Computer Science, Department of Data Science at University Malaysia Sabah. His PhD thesis designed a novel process for solving complex combinatorial optimization problems.
Tan Li June, MSc
June has responsibility for developing database management systems and quantitative asset management architecture. Her M.Sc. thesis employed fuzzy logic algorithms within decision making outcomes. She leads the team in the application of Artificial Intelligence techniques within investment management.
Amos Peter, MSc
Amos has responsibility for the top performing Shariah-compliant Funds. He oversees IT platforms and assists in the development and maintenance of the quantitative investment management architecture.
Tan Sun Qie, BSc
Sunny has responsibility for Luxembourg domiciled Funds and Saudi Arabian equity research. In addition he assists in the development and maintenance of the quantitative investment management architecture.
- Acting or offering to act as portfolio manager of a portfolio of securities on behalf of clients.
- Managing activities in the acquisition or disposal of a portfolio of securities.
- Managing clients’ discretionary accounts including Labuan Private Funds.
- Conducting securities analysis and making investment recommendations based on client’s investment objectives and financial situation.
- Providing advice concerning securities including the issuance of research report and analysis.
- Providing consultancy and advisory services relating to corporate finance and financial planning for corporate clients.
- Making submissions on behalf of clients to Labuan FSA in respect of securities including any other reporting requirements.
- Issuing documents which are deemed to be a prospectus under the LFSSA/LIFSSA and the LCA.
Dealing in securities
- Quoting two way prices and dealing in securities.
- Arranging for the sale or purchase of securities including those that are not listed on a stock market, issued by, belonging to or on behalf of clients.
- Underwriting of securities and placement out of such underwritten securities.
- Other dealing in securities as permitted under section 2 of LFSSA/LIFSSA.
- Investment Advisor to WSF Global Equity Fund - Morningstar 4 STAR RATED.
- NOMINATED for Asset Management Company of the Year, South East Asia 2020 by Global Banking and Finance Review.
- Investment Advisor to WSF Global Equity Fund, Award Winning Islamic Global Equity Fund.