Cogent Asset Management Ltd, a specialist Fund Management boutique, was launched by Citywire AAA rated manager Ian Lancaster and Paul Bethell in September 2013.
Utilising a proprietary quantitative strategy, Cogent advises international institutional clients and high net worth individuals on asset allocation. In addition, Cogent manages a range of European regulated specialist investment vehicles and structured products which provide investors access to income producing assets.
Cogent has an excellent track-record of generating superior investment returns for clients, with an emphasis on risk management and transparency. Funds managed by the team have received top ratings from Citywire, S&P and Morningstar.
In the United States
It was reported that the University of Michigan consumer sentiment for the US increased to 65.2 from previous month’s figure of 59.4. Inflation expectations were confirmed at 5.4% for the year ahead and 3% for the next five years
Data showed that the consumer confidence indicator in the Euro Area declined further to -22.0 in April of 2022, the worst since April of 2020, and compared to previous month’s figure of -21.6, as the war in Ukraine and rising prices continue to take a toll on consumers’ mood.
Data showed that the consumer confidence index in Japan increased to 33.0 from a 14-month low of 32.8 in the previous month. The latest data marked the first improvement in the index in six months, mainly supported by a rise in employment perceptions, after the government ended the quasi-state of emergency in late March following a decline in new COVID-19 infections and increasing vaccinations.
Ian Lancaster, ASIP IFQ MBA
Chief Executive Officer, Chief Investment Officer
Ian has 30 years experience of Fund Management, successfully investing long-only and absolute return equity funds for global institutions such as Reliance, AXA, General Accident and Aviva.
Paul Bethell, CFA
Paul has 20 years experience as an equity analyst, strategist and fund manager, having worked for Reliance, Gulf Finance House and Insinger de Beaufort.
Joe Henry Obit, Assoc. Prof. Dr
Lead Consultant, Artificial Intelligence techniques within Investment Management
Dr Joe is an Associate Professor of Computer Science, Department of Data Science at University Malaysia Sabah. His research interests include Artificial Intelligence and Distributed Artificial Intelligence models. Practical applications have included addressing a wide range of real-world combinatorial optimization problems. Joe obtained his PhD in Computer Science from the School of Computer Science at the University of Nottingham, UK. His PhD thesis designed a novel form of Meta-heuristic, Hyper-heuristic and Cooperative Search.
Kuan Yik Junn, PhD
Consultant, Artificial Intelligence techniques within Investment Management
Dr Kuan obtained his PhD in Computer Science from the School of Computer Science, Department of Data Science at University Malaysia Sabah. His PhD thesis designed a novel process for solving complex combinatorial optimization problems.
Amos Peter, MSc
Managing Director, Fund Manager
Amos has responsibility for the top performing WSF Global Equity Fund. He oversees IT platforms, the development and maintenance of the quantitative investment management architecture and compliance with LFSA requirements.
Tan Li June, MSc
Co Fund Manager, Head of Quantitative Analysis
June co-manages the top performing WSF Global Equity Fund. She has responsibility for developing database management systems and quantitative asset management architecture. Her M.Sc. thesis employed fuzzy logic algorithms within decision making outcomes. June leads the team in the application of Artificial Intelligence techniques within investment management.
Tan Sun Qie, BSc
Head of Marketing and Communications, Designated Compliance Officer
Sunny has responsibility for informing and educating clients and potential clients regarding the investment strategies that Cogent implements. In addition Sunny undertakes Fund risk and performance analysis and has responsibility to ensure compliance with LFSA requirements.
- Acting or offering to act as portfolio manager of a portfolio of securities on behalf of clients.
- Managing activities in the acquisition or disposal of a portfolio of securities.
- Managing clients’ discretionary accounts including Labuan Private Funds.
- Conducting securities analysis and making investment recommendations based on client’s investment objectives and financial situation.
- Providing advice concerning securities including the issuance of research report and analysis.
- Providing consultancy and advisory services relating to corporate finance and financial planning for corporate clients.
- Making submissions on behalf of clients to Labuan FSA in respect of securities including any other reporting requirements.
- Issuing documents which are deemed to be a prospectus under the LFSSA/LIFSSA and the LCA.
Dealing in securities
- Quoting two way prices and dealing in securities.
- Arranging for the sale or purchase of securities including those that are not listed on a stock market, issued by, belonging to or on behalf of clients.
- Underwriting of securities and placement out of such underwritten securities.
- Other dealing in securities as permitted under section 2 of LFSSA/LIFSSA.
- Investment Advisor to WSF Global Equity Fund - Morningstar 4 STAR RATED.
- NOMINATED for Asset Management Company of the Year, South East Asia 2020 by Global Banking and Finance Review.
- Investment Advisor to WSF Global Equity Fund, Award Winning Islamic Global Equity Fund.