Cogent Asset Management Ltd, a specialist Fund Management boutique, was launched by Citywire AAA rated manager Ian Lancaster and Paul Bethell in September 2013.
Utilising a proprietary quantitative strategy, Cogent advises international institutional clients and high net worth individuals on asset allocation. In addition, Cogent manages a range of European regulated specialist investment vehicles and structured products which provide investors access to income producing assets.
Cogent has an excellent track-record of generating superior investment returns for clients, with an emphasis on risk management and transparency. Funds managed by the team have received top ratings from Citywire, S&P and Morningstar.
In the United States
Data showed that the IHS Markit US Services PMI drecreased to 57.0 (preliminary estimate showed) in November, from 58.7 in the previous month. The latest data showed a sharp expansion in the service sector activity on the back of greater travel both domestically and internationally and the further easing of COVID-19 restrictions. New business growth slowed to the slowest since August 2020, although it remained strong overall as firms acquired new clients and new projects.
It was reported that the IHS Markit Eurozone Services PMI increased to 56.6 (preliminary estimate showed) in November 2021, from 54.6 in the previous month. Output growth accelerated from October’s six-month low on the back of slightly stronger inflows of new business. In addition, the pace of job creation was strong overall and backlogs of work continued to rise at an elevated pace. Finally, future output expectations deteriorated in November, amid worries about the impact of further COVID-19 waves.
It was reported that the au Jibun Bank Japan Services PMI rose to 52.1 (preliminary estimate showed) in November 2021 from 50.7 in the previous month. This was also the second straight month of expansion in services activity, supported by loosening COVID-19 restrictions and soaring vaccination rates. New orders returned to growth for the first time since January 2020 on the back of a rebound in export sales.
Ian Lancaster, ASIP IFQ MBA
Chief Executive Officer, Chief Investment Officer
Ian has 30 years experience of Fund Management, successfully investing long-only and absolute return equity funds for global institutions such as Reliance, AXA, General Accident and Aviva.
Paul Bethell, CFA
Paul has 20 years experience as an equity analyst, strategist and fund manager, having worked for Reliance, Gulf Finance House and Insinger de Beaufort.
Joe Henry Obit, Assoc. Prof. Dr
Lead Consultant, Artificial Intelligence techniques within Investment Management
Dr Joe is an Associate Professor of Computer Science, Department of Data Science at University Malaysia Sabah. His research interests include Artificial Intelligence and Distributed Artificial Intelligence models. Practical applications have included addressing a wide range of real-world combinatorial optimization problems. Joe obtained his PhD in Computer Science from the School of Computer Science at the University of Nottingham, UK. His PhD thesis designed a novel form of Meta-heuristic, Hyper-heuristic and Cooperative Search.
Kuan Yik Junn, PhD
Consultant, Artificial Intelligence techniques within Investment Management
Dr Kuan obtained his PhD in Computer Science from the School of Computer Science, Department of Data Science at University Malaysia Sabah. His PhD thesis designed a novel process for solving complex combinatorial optimization problems.
Tan Li June, MSc
June has responsibility for developing database management systems and quantitative asset management architecture. Her M.Sc. thesis employed fuzzy logic algorithms within decision making outcomes. She leads the team in the application of Artificial Intelligence techniques within investment management.
Amos Peter, MSc
Amos has responsibility for the top performing Shariah-compliant Funds. He oversees IT platforms and assists in the development and maintenance of the quantitative investment management architecture.
Tan Sun Qie, BSc
Sunny has responsibility for Luxembourg domiciled Funds and Saudi Arabian equity research. In addition he assists in the development and maintenance of the quantitative investment management architecture.
- Acting or offering to act as portfolio manager of a portfolio of securities on behalf of clients.
- Managing activities in the acquisition or disposal of a portfolio of securities.
- Managing clients’ discretionary accounts including Labuan Private Funds.
- Conducting securities analysis and making investment recommendations based on client’s investment objectives and financial situation.
- Providing advice concerning securities including the issuance of research report and analysis.
- Providing consultancy and advisory services relating to corporate finance and financial planning for corporate clients.
- Making submissions on behalf of clients to Labuan FSA in respect of securities including any other reporting requirements.
- Issuing documents which are deemed to be a prospectus under the LFSSA/LIFSSA and the LCA.
Dealing in securities
- Quoting two way prices and dealing in securities.
- Arranging for the sale or purchase of securities including those that are not listed on a stock market, issued by, belonging to or on behalf of clients.
- Underwriting of securities and placement out of such underwritten securities.
- Other dealing in securities as permitted under section 2 of LFSSA/LIFSSA.
- Investment Advisor to WSF Global Equity Fund - Morningstar 4 STAR RATED.
- NOMINATED for Asset Management Company of the Year, South East Asia 2020 by Global Banking and Finance Review.
- Investment Advisor to WSF Global Equity Fund, Award Winning Islamic Global Equity Fund.